Laura is senior director of brand marketing. Prior to joining Mercury, she was director of strategy business development at ITT Interconnect Solutions and Ducommun Inc. Laura began her career as a software engineer and later moved into program management and product marketing roles. She holds a BS and MS in computer science from the University of Southern California.
What is your advice to young women entering the STEM field?
· Don’t be afraid to speak up, not everyone will hear you, but no one will if you stay silent.
· Take risks and have the courage to push yourself and see how far you can go.
· Look out for and bond with other women on your team and across your organization.
· Identify a few colleagues (male or female) that you can really trust and be each other’s coaches and confidants.
· Actively seek and leverage mentors.
· Keep a positive outlook, even ‘mistakes’ are learning experiences. If you’re not making mistakes, you’re probably not taking risks and pushing yourself.